Here’s an easy recipe to change up your breakfast routine. You can add whatever ingredients you have on hand and throw the whole kitchen sink in if you like.
Ingredients I used: 2 to 4 servings
1 cup Polenta
¾ cup Onion (Diced)
½ cup Red Bell Pepper (Diced)
1 cup Spinach (Chopped)
4 Bacon Strips (Chopped)
½ cup Pepper Jack Cheese (Shredded)
4 Large Eggs
½ Tbsp Olive Oil
Medium Size Bowl
- Cook bacon in frying pan (not too crisp). Let cool then chop. Set aside.
Note: Use whatever meat you have. Ham, sausage or no meat at all. Instead add extra vegetables. I wish I would have had some mushrooms to add.
- Drain fat from pan and wipe with paper towel. Add olive oil and sauté onion and pepper until soft, add spinach and cook a couple of minutes longer. Set aside with bacon.
Note: You could cook the onions and pepper and spinach in the bacon grease but that’s probably not the most healthy thing to do.
- Roll out Polenta between wax paper to the size of the bottom of rice cooker. Cook on medium heat in pan used to cook bacon and veggies. About 2 minutes each side.
Note: Polenta is mostly cornmeal and water. So if you have corn meal, you can make your on polenta. Any type of savory-dish pie crust would probably work. You could use a thin potato pancake too.
- Lightly grease side of rice cooker and place cooked Polenta in bottom of rice cooker. Wet fingers and form polenta to bottom if needed.
- Whip eggs in bowl and add bacon and veggies and shredded cheese. Mix Well. Pour on top of polenta.
- Cook in Rice Cooker for 25 minutes on Quick Setting.
- Slice with Knife or Pizza Slicer into desired serving size.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Note: A glass of fresh OJ makes this a delicious and healthy breakfast.